As a competitor, volunteer, member of PSi or of a Host City organizing effort at a Poetry Slam, Inc. event, I agree:
- To revel in an environment in which freedom of speech, self-determination, and pursuit of creative excellence are inalienable rights.
- To participate in all National Poetry Slam events in a way that encourages, illuminates and supports established standards of good sportsmanship. To refuse to allow the competitive challenge of the game to lead me to violence, interference, or direct threats. To allow all participants to pursue their craft peacefully and without censure, regardless of present team associations or past personal history.
- To comply with local, state and federal laws pertaining to individual civil rights and physical or sexual harassment.
- To abide by competition rules as defined by Poetry Slam, Inc., knowing that the consequences for breaking the rules exist and are upheld. Penalties will be determined by the severity of the infraction, and the ruling of the presiding NPS Protest Committee and/or the PSi Executive Council.
- To be a fair poet– one who in competition is fair and generous, one who in any connection has recourse to nothing illegitimate; a poet who in defeat demonstrates grace and in victory magnanimity.
Remember: “The show and the show’s effect upon the audience are more important than any one individual’s contribution to it.” -Marc Smith